This document is a Finding Aid to the Papers of the Department of Metallurgy, at the University of Melbourne. A chair of metallurgy was first established at the University of Melbourne in 1924 though the subject had been taught since 1877. In recent times the Department has gone through a number of changes and no longer exists in its own right. The few surviving papers, apart from the University's official Central Registry series, include the minutes of the Metallurgical Society 1930 - 1946, roll books for metallurgy classes 1894 - 1940, photographs of mining at Mt. Morgan 1884 - 1914 and a few files of correspondence. A more complete record of the Department's activities could have provided much evidence of the developing relationships between one of Australia's most important industries and its scientific base.