Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences Collected Works - Theses
Permanent URI for this collection
Now showing 1 - 2 of 2
ItemThe effectiveness of using native species for revegetation along urban waterwaysAndersen, Rebecca ( 2000)This project investigates the effectiveness of using native plant species for revegetation along urban waterways. Five previously revegetated sites along Melbourne's linear waterways were studied. These sites include Diamond Creek, Merri Creek at Blyth Street and Hall Reserve, Plenty River and Taylor's Creek. Revegetation techniques were studied in order to determine the most successful strategies for urban revegetation. Observational techniques and surveys were used to evaluate the success of each individual project sites. All sites largely succeeded in achieving their original project aims, which included the use of indigenous vegetation, restoration of wildlife corridors, encouragement of passive recreation and use of regular maintenance. Criteria were used to assess the successful achievement of these aims, and `extra criteria' were developed to evaluate the success of other revegetation goals. The sites largely achieved satisfactory results for the extra criteria. Findings indicate a direct association between average leaf litter cover and average weed cover. This shows that high priority should be given to control and prevention of weeds through the application of mulch, and the development of strategies to increase leaf litter cover. Data also establishes that successful revegetation requires adequate planning, site preparation, site maintenance, consideration of landscape values and public awareness. The data enabled the development of recommendations, which can be used in the implementation of successful revegetation projects in the future.
ItemA history of Burnley Gardens 1860-1939Andrews, Lee ( 2000)Historic Burnley Gardens in Richmond, Victoria are now part of the University of Melbourne. Horticultural and educational activities have existed on this site since the 1860's and 1890's respectively, with the Gardens initially established for testing fruit and produce to introduce into cultivation in the new colony of Victoria. Despite previous research into the history of the Gardens, the very early period around the time of establishment was not clear, and while it was known that many old and venerable trees grew on the site, it was not clear when they were planted, or the form that the early layout of the Gardens took. A two part research project was undertaken to answer these questions. Using documentary evidence and oral histories (where possible), the history of the Gardens from 1860 to 1939 was examined. A physical survey of the grounds was then carried out to determine what remained today from that period. Early photographs, plant lists, maps and plans were used to determine the position of previous driveways, fences and garden borders. Maps were drawn up to show the physical evolution of the Gardens over the time period being examined. As the Gardens' planting and design largely reflected the educational themes of the school on the site since education began on it in 1891, these themes have been linked to the Gardens' development. The remaining plant material such as trees, shrubs and climbers, path layout and surfacing material, buildings, rock structures, and water features were examined and recorded. The Gardens as it was up to 1939 was then contrasted with the Gardens as it is at the present time, with remaining plantings, layout and features identified. As a result, the history of the Burnley Gardens from 1860 to 1939 was able to be clarified, and a surprisingly large amount of extant material found.