V.C.A.H Burnley is a horticultural college surrounded by a historic landscape. The gardens were first established by the Horticultural Society of Victoria in 1863 for the acclimatisation of exotic plants especially fruit trees and in 1891 it became a School of Horticulture. A Significant Tree Study and Tree Census provides a current record of the vegetation and its condition. Through a series of maps and verbal descriptions the study depicts the changes that have occurred in the gardens from the 1860s to the present culminating in a Statement of Significance. To ensure the historical integrity of the gardens remains intact, a conservation policy has been formulated which has guided the development of the management recommendations.