Cybraries in paradise: new technologies and ethnographic repositories
AuthorBarwick, L; Thieberger, N
Source TitleLibr@ries: changing information space and practice
PublisherMahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum
AffiliationEngineering: Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
Science: Department of Information Systems
Arts: School of Languages
MetadataShow full item record
Document TypeBook Chapter
CitationBarwick, L. & Thieberger, N. (2006). Cybraries in paradise: new technologies and ethnographic repositories. In C. Kapitzke, & B. C. Bruce (Eds.), Libr@ries: changing information space and practice (pp. 133-149). Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Access StatusOpen Access
Used with permission from Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Visit http://www.erlbaum.com to purchase a copy of the book. // Re-edited DG 02-08-2010 //
Digital technologies have altered research practices surrounding creation and use of ethnographic field recordings, and the methodologies and paradigms of the disciplines centered around their interpretation. In this chapter we discuss some examples of our current research practices as fieldworkers documenting music and language in the Asia-Pacific region in active engagement with the cultural heritage communities, and as developers and curators of the digital repository PARADISEC (the Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures: <http://paradisec.org.au>). We suggest a number of benefits that the use of digital technologies can bring to the recording of material from small and endangered cultures, and to its re-use by communities and researchers.
Keywordsethnography; ethnomusicology; linguistics; information management; digital technologies; cultural heritage
- Click on "Export Reference in RIS Format" and choose "open with... Endnote".
- Click on "Export Reference in RIS Format". Login to Refworks, go to References => Import References
- School of Languages and Linguistics - Research Publications 
- Melbourne Conservatorium of Music - Research Publications 
- Melbourne Students & Learning - Research Publications 
- Computing and Information Systems - Research Publications 
- Information Systems - Research Publications